Sevilla, Spain - C. XIII
Approx. Nº of pieces: 2.800
Difficulty degree: 9/10
Sizes (Mm.): 250 x 250 x 375
The monument and its history
It is situated in the Paseo de Colón, in Seville, Spain.
The Gold Tower, an albarrana military tower, which means it was separated from the rest of the defensive wall, owes its name to its early covering of glazed tiles with golden reflections. Built in the first third of the 13th century by the Almohads for defensive purposes, it has twelve sides, and from its ashlar masonry base a strong chain was stretched across to the other side of the River Guadalquivir protecting the port entrance: this was the defence that had to be pierced by the Castilian squadron commanded by Ramón de Bonifaz before the assault by Fernando III, in 1248. The tower was also used as a prison in the Middle Ages, and as a secure precinct to guard the precious metals that the fleet regularly brought back from the Indies.
The final circular body of the tower was added by Sebastián Vander Borcht in 1760. It is currently the Naval Museum and contains engravings, old seafaring instruments and historical documents. It outlines an image of the naval history of Seville, the importance of its river and the mark left by illustrious seafarers.